Monday, March 12, 2007

Tipping

There are somethings that North America just got wrong. There's not much that can be done about it now, it started wrong and it's just going to keep on going, being wrong.

Tipping is one of these things and here is why.

Service should be included whenever it is provided. The staff that are providing that service should be paid properly for their job and a consequence of not providing good enough service will be eventually losing your job. That's how it works for me in my job and that's probably how it works for you.

I can't imagine anybody expecting someone to give me a % of their ticket price, in order for me to provide better service. It's ridiculous when looked at in certain jobs but not in others.

Here's another thing I don't understand. If I go into a bar and order fries and gravy for say $3, I'll give them less than a dollar tip, but if I go in again and get the steak I'll end up tipping alot more. Why? It's excatly the same amount of work to to get the fries as it is to get the steak. If anybody should be paid more it's the chef, but wait, the food costs more so you have to think that's already taken into account.

It get's even crazier when you are tipping cab drivers or barbers who are providing nothing but service. So you are paying for a service and paying a % on top of that to make sure you get good service? Madness.

Now, I tip. I understand that these people get paid less, etc, etc. All I'm saying is that it's wrong and although it never will, it should change.

4 comments:

Jen Star said...

I also think that "right to bear arms" thing might have gotten some of us off on the wrong foot.

I understand -- though I don't agree with -- why we have to tip servers. They make, like, $4 a hour. But I'm really not sure why I have to tip my hairdresser, or my masseur. They're making actual money! But hey, I do it anyways. Because $50 isn't too much to pay for a trim in the first place, right?

Okay, reading over your original post, I now see that I have added nothing to the conversation. So let me end with this:

Does that mean that when I got to Scotland I don't have to tip the chambermaids? Yippee!

alanm said...

What's a chambermaid?

Jen Star said...

You know, the maids who look after my chambers? Hotel maids?

G said...

When I was 18 I worked in London (UK) as a chambermaid. I have only this to say: Please tip your chambermaid.