Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Magical Massey Hall

Yesterday I picked up Neil Young live at Massey Hall, 1971.

When I bought it Mike (of Mike's Music on the Danforth) told me that he realised that Massey Hall has a sound all of it's own and he's right. Massey Hall, as I have said before on this blog, is a truly wonderful place. It has all kinds of pillars and seating obstructions, the gallery has uncomfortable, cramped bench seating and yet the sound is simply amazing.

On this album, recorded just before the release of Harvest, Neil plays an acoustic guitar and a piano. What really gets me is that introduces the "new" songs and then plays what would become classics like Old Man, A Man Needs a Maid and Heart of Gold. To have been at that show and heard those songs for the first time must have been an incredible experience.

Neil had already moved to the states when he recorded this record but you can tell the Canadian connection is still strong. Any mention of Canada raises cheers from the audience. Neil tells stories and explains the songs as he restlessly picks his guitar between songs.

I can't recommend this one enough. Next up for us at Massey Hall is Damien Rice on May 18th and if Damien fancies releasing a live album sometime soon, it might be the perfect night for recording one.

No comments: