Monday, March 19, 2007

There their ther

I think it's time we revised the English language. It's time we got rid of some of those stupid rules and simplified the whole thing.

What am I talking about?

Let's start with the title of this post. Why is there two different versions of their?
I know it's to distinguish between "Hey you over there!" and "Hey, that's not yours, it's theirs!", but really, doesn't the context of the word tell you all the info you need to know. Lets just make it "ther". Simple

In the same vein, let's talk the ei and ie nonsense. Why does ei in "their" make the sound e? e makes that sound all on it's own, there is no need for the i. And why is it sometimes ie and sometimes ei. The before c rule is just stupid and even if you want to use it, why does the letter c change the use of ie or ei?

For some reason I couldn't spell the word "choir" recentley and I worked out why. The word "choir" should have a q in it. It's definitely a q sound, and yet there is no q? I kept writing quire, but no, for some reason the letters "ch" make a "q" sound when put before "oir".

I no ther will be lots of sticklers out ther for tradition, but onestly, lets think about it. Ther is no reason for it. Lets sit down and make some sensible rools that are easy.

2 comments:

Jen Star said...

This is all I'll say on the matter:

http://tinyurl.com/39mbbc

alanm said...

And I always thought you were the grammar nazi.