We watched the Grammy's the other night and I have a few issues with them:
- They advertise all these "once in a lifetime" duets, like John Mayer, John Legend and Corrine Bailey Rae, but the Grammys idea of a duet is each of them singing their own songs, one after the other? Sure there are some gental background harmonies but really, it's hardly a duet.
- They hand out 4 or 5 "Lifetime Achievment Awards" throughout the night, but they give each recipient a 5 second intro and don't even let them say a few words to accept the award. It's like somekind of bizzare footnote. There is also no apparant reason for giving them the awards now. Last night The Doors got one as well as Bob Wills and the Eagles. I'm not really sure why, and I think there was somebody from the Doors in the audience but they only flashed on them for a few seconds so I don't really know. I don't understand it.
- Now here's the big one. The Grammys make me sad for the human race. Yup, that's a big statement but it's true. Here is why it's true. Many, many more people will spend many of their precious hours listening to Carrie Underwood, than will ever listen to Neko Case. Many, many people will spend more time listening to Justin Timberlake, than will ever listen to Josh Ritter. That's a sad, sad thing. It's not being a musical snob, I know that I am right on this one. You get more from listening to Neko or Josh (or Ben Kweller, or Okkervil River, or Ron Sexsmith, or the Great Lake Swimmers....) than you ever will from listening to Carrie or Justin. It's like going through life eating ritz crackers and flat cola when you could be eating steak and drinking Hoegarden. These people have my pity.
No comments:
Post a Comment