Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Metallica are pussies

Hey Hey,
Last night Fran and I watched the Metallica documentary "Some kind of monster".
The film is in concept alot like the Wilco movie I reviewed a few weeks ago. They film Metalllica as they make their latest album "St. Anger" going through the whole process from writing to recording to promoting.
The difference is Metallica are pussies. Yup, that's right, I said it. PUSSIES.
Now I'm not trying to start a war with any metal heads out there but if you watch this film you will understand.
The band has a full time therapist for christ sakes. They pay him $40,000 a month. He is in virtually every meeting the band has. Why do they have a therapist you ask? Well becuase they all hate each other (or more accurately James Hatfield and Lars Ulrich hate each other). Half the movie is taking up by Lars travelling around with his therapist trying to get "closure" from people who have left the band.
The whole thing is very, very funny and well worth watching but it really felt like it went on for ever. Mind you it does take them 2 YEARS to make the album. 2 YEARS!!!
How the hell can it take 2 years to make a metal album. It shouldn't take 2 weeks. And we are not talking ground breaking cutting edge stuff here. No we are talking the same thrashy riff driven stuff they always had. Off course now they question whether guitar solos are passe and spend time trying to work out how different drum beats make them feel.
It's like these guys started out playing in their parents garage oh about 4 million years ago but have evolved into an episode of Frasier albeit one where Fraser has a bit more hair and tatoos.
Jeez it's sad.
I tell you the Wiggles could kick their ass.
Rock on
Alan

No comments: