Lately I've been listening to quite a lot of blues music. Not becuase I'm feeling down or anything, I've just kind of been looking and around and seeing what I like.
I've discovered I really like acoustic blues more than the electric stuff.
My 3 absolute favourties are:
Mississippi John Hurt - Gentle, fingerpicked guitar, beautifully sad music.
Lightnin' Hopkins - Here's a guy who new how to hurt. Lots of songs about crying in his bedroom after his woman walked out and some brilliant blues solos.
Odetta - A breathtaking voice - It feels like she is slapping you in the face when she sings. I'm listening to "Motherless Child" right now and I have goose bumps.
If you are feeling down, I suggest a listen to some of this stuff. You might figure out things aren't as bad as you thought in comparison and it's strangely uplifting.
Tuesday, May 02, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Quoting Townes Van Zandt, there's two kinds of music: the blues and zippity do dah.
That's a great quote. I need to get me some Townes Van Zandt.
I read a Steve Earle quote that said "Townes Van Zandt is the greatest American songwriter and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that"
Post a Comment