Wednesday, March 22, 2006

I wunt you

Ok, so last night Fran and I had date night! We went to see James Blunt at Massey Hall. James Blunt is the guy with the girly voice that sings "You're Beautiful" which you will hear pretty much everywhere right now.
Before I review the concert I want to take a minute to go over how James Blunt came onto my radar.
My mate Tony told me about him last year and so I downloaded a few tracks. The guy had a weird voice but after I got used to it, I really liked it. James Blunt was at this point a pretty cool, singer-songwriter type. Ok fast-forward a few months and suddenly I find Starbucks is selling his Cd (that just has to be a bad thing) and lo and behold, he is appearing on Oprah (that has to be a bad thing). Now I understand it's all about the $$$ but this does have serious influence on who goes to see him live. It has also meant I have been getting flack from my cooler friends (you know who you are Jen, Kareen, Tim...) for going to see him.
So onto the show and the audience is split, half oprah fans aka soccer moms and half Brittney wannabe's who are dressed like they should be pedaling their wares out on Shuter Street. They have actually made signs "I'll be Blunt, You're Beautiful" and my favourite "James Blunt, I wunt you" - Genius!
None of this really matters, it's still a great show.
Boy Least Likely To who are on my Best of 2005, open (the audience explodes when they come on as most of them aren't familiar with the concept of an opener) and they are alot of fun. A few tunes really miss, especially when they try to slow it down but they have a nice bit of banter with the crowd and get everybody clapping along.
Next up Mr. Blunt.
Screammmmmmmmmmmmmm go the girls
Flashhhhhhhhhhhhhhh go the cameras
The set is high energy and the band are really tight. He only has one album so we hear all of that and a few new ones which I thought were pretty good. After the 2nd song he invites people to stand up and the girls charge the front of the stage. The security beats the hormonal crowd back to their seats where they stay until Beautiful closes it and they charge forward again. He plays "No Bravery" in sync with a home vidoe he shot when he was in the army, all burnt buildings and grave sites, it's pretty heavy but quite touching until some 15 year-old shouts "I love you" just before he finishes.
I think the guy actually gets a bit of a bad rep but I guess it's all in the marketing.
Before I finish I want to say a word about Massey Hall. It's magical. It's a fairly small venue, maybe 1300 and is nothing special looks wise, 2 balcony's, lot's of pillars to avoid, but the sound is perfect. I could hear every note and every word. Ron Sexsmith ia playing their in April and he referred to it as his holy grail. I love it.
Ok, I have to go think of something that rhymes with Blunt to put on a poster

3 comments:

Jen Star said...

I can think of a few choiuce words that end in "unt!" I am so not cooler than you. Tim and Kareen, sure, but I'm just trying to get by with all you cool kids.

John said...

Went to Starbuck's the other day and the two CDs for sale at the register were Sergio Mendes and James Blunt.

Anonymous said...

I sure do miss shows at Massey Hall. Stevie Ray Vaughan and Tom Waits are two highlights.