Thursday, September 29, 2005

Mod cool and blues greatness

In the last couple of weeks I've been to a couple of excellent shows.
1st up was Paul Weller at the Kool Haus.
What can I say? The man is the coolest man alive.
I've seen him a couple of times before but both times it was an acoustic seated show so I was looking forward to a full on rock show (with fingers crossed for at least a couple of Jam numbers)and he didn't disappoint.
He has a real swagger on stage, silk scarf and all. He asks us if "that's all the respect Toronto has?" at one point and points out someone in the audience saying that "you are a great audience apart from that twat". Great stuff.
I got my wish for some classics. A great acoustic "That's Entertainment", a romping "Shout to the top", which the swinging couple in front of us were really getting down to and the grand finale of "Town Called Malice". There was a lot from his new album aswell which has a real Northern Soul sound to it. It's no wonder the Gallaghers worship the man.
Next up was Joh Hammond who was at a new blues club in Toronto called the Speakeasy. It really had that "new" feeling about it with a make shift bar and people dragging tables and chairs around to fill the bizarre space left in front of the stage. Maybe they expected a moshpit? We got in early and got a great table near the front which was really essential to get a full view of the amazing guitar playing and facial expressions.
The show was one of those shows where you want to go home and throw your guitar away. The guitar playing was truly incredible. A mix of old blues stuff, Tom Waits covers (John Hammond released a Tom Waits produced Tom Waits cover record called Wicked Grin) and 2 John Hammond originals, which are a rare thing.
I have the Wicked Grin album but really went to the show with John and Len on the back of their recommendations so thanks to them for a great night.
Next up will be The Frames in Oct. and I am already excited about that, there is nothing like live music.
Alan

No comments: