Friday, June 10, 2005

Music for a heatwave

It's hot. It is HOT. IT IS HOT!

30-40 degrees everyday with hardly a drop of rain in 2 weeks. That's probably a bit on the toasty side but it's not all bad, it is at least really feeling like summer.
Dinner on the front steps, watering the lawn, playing football......

It's been a big week in music with the anticipated release of the new Coldplay "X&Y" and the new White Stripes "Get behind me satan". I picked up them both.

The Coldplay I want to wait on before I make any real statements about it. I get the feeling it will be a grower but it's kind of faded into the shadow of the magnificent White Stripes album. I've never been a huge White Stripes fan, always liked them but never bought an album. I was swayed into this one by the single Blue Orchid, which is a sparse guitar and drums number with Jack White singing a bit higher than usual. The rest of the album is a balance of piano and bluesy guitar sounding kind of like nobody else does. I like it.

Also this week I've been listening to John Wesley Harding "It happened one night" which I picked up from the library. He decided for this, his first album, back in the late 80's to release a live album recorded before his friends and family. Unusual to start with a live album but it really works well. He sounds a lot like Billy Bragg with maybe a touch of Louden Wainwright in there to. It's obviously a very intimate performance and had some nice touches like a folky sing along of Princes "Kiss" and the final track "Bastard Son" where he claims he is the bastard son of Joan Baez and Bob Dylan.

Finally a word for the fantastic album "Transistor Radio" by M Ward. I bought this a few weeks ago and it's been growing on me ever since. He has a lovely quivery voice which he uses to sing a mix of folky fingerpicked track and bluesy 50's style rock'n'roll.

2 hours 10 minutes to the weekend.

2 comments:

John said...

Wow, its barely that hot here in TX.

I liked the M Ward song you sent to the L.R. Very catchy. Would sound great blasting at a party in your back yard this summer!

Is that rough-start, hit the drumsticks, start-over-again thing on a song a trend lately?

alanm said...

Yeah, T.O. has been a sweatbox lately. We have also been smogged under, we have already matched the record yearly total for smog alert days and it's only June! I couldn't see downtown from Riverdale Park on Broadview this morning.
The M Ward album is great. I think you would like it. Hey next time you are in town come on over and we can have a listening party.
(Might have to play some Raffi for the wee one)