Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Josh Rouse

Last night I saw Josh Rouse play Lee's Palace.
It was the first time I have ever gone to a show on my own, mainly because Fran was at home with Fiona and I don't know anybody else who likes Josh Rouse enough to go see him. Being on my own was ok, I kind of missed having somebody to talk about the show with after but I had a couple of beers for friends and they tasted good.
If you don't know Josh Rouse's music he writes nice laid back, mellow music often with counrty tinges and sometimes with a little 70's funk showing through. He just realeased "Nashville" which isn't anywhere near as country as the title sounds and before that "1972" which had a more funky feel to it. Almost all the songs from last night were from those 2 albums.
I love his music and he played a great set. All the tunes sounded great and Lee's Palace which is a fairly small venue was packed and for once the crowd was pretty enthusiastic even singing along and clapping at times. For a Toronto crowd that's quite an achievment really.
My only complaint about the show was that evey song was note for note from the album and there was no covers. I loved the show but sometimes you just need that little extra that isn't on the album just to make it a bit different.
Ok it's sunny out, time for guitar in the courtyard. Those lucky pigeons.

1 comment:

John said...

You're right, concerts are pretty social activities. Moreso than watching films, I think. The ones I remember going to on my own were in other cities where I was spending time alone - 10,000 Maniacs in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. A whole 4 day bluegrass festival in Lexington, KY, and a slew of shows when I first came to Austin. Those were all lots of fun, but in a different way. Often its just easier to go, than to bargain with someone else's taste and schedule.

I expect the unexpected from a live performance too. Something that makes it real, like I want the performer to be able to tell the difference from the show they did the night before.

BTW - nice blog!